LIFE is BEAUTIFUL!

WISDOM

To understand reality is not the same as to know about outward events. It is to perceive the essential nature of things. The best-informed man is not necessarily the wisest. Indeed there is a danger that precisely in the multiplicity of his knowledge he will lose sight of what is essential. But on the other hand, knowledge of an apparently trivial detail quite often makes it possible to see into the depth of things. And so the wise man will seek to acquire the best possible knowledge about events, but always without becoming dependent upon this knowledge. To recognize the significant in the factual is wisdom. Dietrich Bonhoeffer:

THOUGHTS TO PONDER

Life is a train of moods like a string of beads; and as we pass through them they prove to be many colored lenses, which paint the world their own hue, and each shows us only what lies in its own focus.---RALPH WALDO EMERSON
glitter-graphics.com
Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.---ABRAHAM LINCOLN
There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state to another, nothing more. He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of life.---ALEXANDRE DUMAS
“It is not because the truth is too difficult to see that we make mistakes... we make mistakes because the easiest and most comfortable course for us is to seek insight where it accords with our emotions - especially selfish ones" --- Alexander Solzhenitsyn quotes (Russian novelist, Nobel Prize for Literature (1970), b.1918)
“Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself.” ---Kahlil Gibran

Monday, February 21, 2011

The TEACHER expresses

I made some adjustments on how the test this second term like. This is the second week of our final exams. In communicative classes, it is very essential to evaluate the students confidence in using the language aside from fluency and accuracy. Last week went okay and many did get an impressive mark.


Thailand is quite open and it's not surprising to have  a number of gay and lesbian students in classes.  Much as of them wearing uniforms which they are more comfortable. I have ladies that dressed in men's  uniform and men who are wearing skirts, of course with longer hair and added beauty cosmetics. You can't even notice some unless they speak.


Frankly, I love these kind of students. I'm not sure if it just me but I notice the group do take things seriously and they indeed do well in classes. They are fast and they do their work not just good but very well.


It made me smile that two of my students even presented their speaking activities with props and choreography today. They also did their very best as if they were on a stage being watched by a hundred of spectators. I was definitely impressed and I was happy that they made it more than my expectation.  I have to admit, I am very demanding on quality work from my students as I am fully aware that I am giving them my best.

Examination days could be both frustrating and fulfilling. Nonetheless, I love the part that I get to know some of them closer. One Business Airline graduating student shared to me that he's planning to get another course after graduation and it made me wonder why. He told me as he promised his friend so he has to study medicine to be a doctor. I reacted  I didn't quite get what the friend has something to do with his next plan. He told me, he can't apply for a job as he's over the age bracket, he's twenty-seven and usually airline hospitality accepts younger than his age. I told him he should keep trying and I followed up asking about his friend.


He related that his friend died of leukemia last month and he promised on his death that he'd be a doctor inspired by the friend. I could see the sadness in his eyes telling me about it and I personally admire him for that. There was pain in him and whatever is it, it's inspiring  of him keeping his promise.


Later, I was shocked in another class when one student came in a mask. At first glance I thought he was ill so I asked and he said he was "shy" that everybody else could see the plaster on his nose. He just had a nose job last night! I told him  on my concern that his mask may affect the nose so anyway he took it off and we moved on to the test. One of my   exam questions were on my students plan incorporating the future language and grammar and this student told me, by time he wants all his parts be improved. He wants to be totally different  and be a full woman physically. He said it with all his might, with no hesitation and having a very strong desire.  To note, he's still wearing the men's uniform. I thought it was special to witness someone stating his dream, the emotion was positive. I may have my own judgment but as a person I did like it in some way that he's looking forward to something and he's very hopeful about it.

As a teacher, I realized another lesson today. The teacher has his goal in each session and as the class runs, the teacher drives and leads the students to get to what he designs the results will be without setting aside their capabilities. Some may do it well and some not however, despite the differences among students, he makes them ONE in the end and let them look forward to the next. And when they get  out of the room, they still feel good about themselves despite some struggles and thus  believing  better in their abilities. 

In short, challenges play a major role and should be those that will inspire. It's never bad to go for excellence even in some cases we think it's impossible but let's not forget to protect our student's confidence no matter what. Let's not forget that our students have their own dreams, too and goals to achieve. And that they deserve your TRUST.


No comments:

Post a Comment